So, here is my list for the top ten films of 2025. Only five months late! I decided to do things a little bit different this year. Instead of just making a top ten list, and starting with a few honorable mentions, I am going to pair each film on my list with another film from 2025 that I admired and I think would make a good companion
10. Battersea
Written by T.J. Sandella and Jad Atkins.
Directed by T.J. Sandella and John Anthony
The story is nothing new: Estranged siblings Lou and Les hash out their issues after their mother dies. Honestly, I saw this movie at the Twin Cities Film Fest where I saw at least two other films with very similar plots. What puts Battersea a level ahead of other films of this type is the incredible focus it gives to the story. There are no subplots, no large of cast of lovable supporting players. There is just a brother and sister. I mean, there is technically a third character, they have maybe two minutes of screen time early on in the film. Once the story starts, Battersea is a long series of dialogue scenes as the siblings try to come to grips with their upbringing. Of course, this type of laser focus can be a risky gambit, with no wacky neighbors to cut away to if scene isn’t working. Fortunately, the dialogue is sharp, and the two lead performances are very earnest and believable. In a strange way, the film’s intimate focus actually makes the story feel larger, as it allows the story to zoom in so close to its characters. If you love intimate character dramas like I do, this is one you need to look out for. This is also a first film for the writers and directors, and I look forward to seeing what they do next.
I would be remiss if I didn’t make a joke about the absurd low budget of this film. “Why Dave, how low budget is it,” you ask? It is so low budget, co-writer/co-director T.J. Sandella actually follows ME on Letterboxd! Yep, I have three followers, and he is one of them. He told me that he anticipates Battersea being available to stream fairly soon. I will update with a streaming location when I find out.
For another dialogue heavy, single setting film, albeit with a more humorous feel, check out Richard Linklaters Blue Moon. It contains some of Ethan Hawks best work. Blue Moon is streaming on Netflix and has an overpriced bluray release.
9. Hamnet
Written by Chloe Zhao and Maggie O’Farrell
Directed by Chloe Zhao
Wrenching story about loss, grief, and (maybe) finding peace set in Elizabethan England, Hamnet contains what might be the year’s best performance by Jessie Buckley as a mother struggling to live her life in the aftermath of a tragedy, and a husband who is not around. Equally important to the films success are the beautiful visuals and flowing editing. Chloe Zhao brings her trademark poetic naturalness to bear, always giving the moment enough time to breath without being rushed, but never dwelling on too long on any one moment. The rest of the cast, and all of the behind the line people are also first rate. There are no weak links to be found anywhere here. Hamnet is streaming on Peacock, widely available to rent, and is on Blu-Ray and 4k.
If you want a different look at a mother in anguish, watch If I had Legs, I’d Kick You. It’s lead performance by Rose Byrne might be the second best performance of the year. It is often listed as a comedy, but good luck laughing! It streams on HBO Max, is available to rent, and on Blu-Ray.
8. The Secret Agent
Written and Directed by Kleber Mendonça Filho
A father attempts to flee persecution in 1977 Brazil. What a wild ride this film is! We have many stories colliding throughout this film. Stories of hitmen, corrupt government officials, anarchist landladies, holocaust survives, political dissidents and refugees, a two-faced cat, and modern day researcher analyzing the story through news paper articles and audio recordings. Oh, and a severed leg that hops around and attacks people. What’s more is this is a languidly paced film, running nearly three hours. With so much going on and so many characters overlapping, this is not an easy watch. This is a film that not only demands you total attention, but requires it. What makes this film work, with its sprawling plot and loaded cast, is the astonishing lead performance by Wagner Moura, who provides the calm center to the storm that is The Secret Agent, and provides the glue that holds the film together. This film is a commitment, but a very worthwhile one. The Secret Agent is streaming on Hulu, is available to rent, and is getting physical release by the Criterion Collection later this year.
If you want another sprawling, emotional film with a strong political backdrop that also centers a father/son relationship, give Sirat a try. This is a film that is constantly morphing from one thing to another, keeping the viewer on their toes. It is streaming on Hulu as well, is available for rent, and has a blu-ray release. Be warned however, this film is BLEAK!
7. All That’s Left of You
Written and Directed by Cherien Dabis
Three generations in the life of a Palestinian family who are displaced from their home during the creation of the state of Israel. Yes, I know comedies exist, and we will get to a couple eventually, but for now, we continue with the hurt. What this film does extremely well is explore the different opinions the three generations have on their current situation, and how to best handle it. There is a key scene between a man, his son, and four Israeli soldiers which is not only really painful to watch, but really brings the generational conflict into a clear light as everyone’s opinions are easily understandable. This is yet another powerful, sprawling political drama. This is available to rent on Fandango, Amazon and many others.
And, if you don’t hate Israel enough yet, give The Voice of Hind Rajab a watch. Although I found some of its film-making to be gimmicky, it tells an undeniably wrenching true story, and will leave you hating everything ever.
6. On Becoming a Guinea Fowl
Written and Directed by Rungano Nyoni
A young, middle-class Zambian woman finds her uncle’s dead body on the side of the road late one night, and sets off a chain reaction that exposes her family’s dirty secrets to anyone brave enough to look for it. It’s an uncomfortable drama that is also surprisingly funny and surreal in spots, and features a strong lead performance by Susan Chardy. Guinea Fowl exposes the intersection between sexism and classism in a fascinating way. It can be particularly disturbing when you find out not only what skeletons this family is hiding in their closet, but what they are willing to ignore to maintain the status quo. This film is streaming on HBO Max, and available to rent at the usual places
For another surprisingly funny family drama, give Sentimental Value a spin. It isn’t nearly as disturbing, but it makes for an easier watch. Very well acted. It is streaming on Hulu, and has a physical release from Criterion.
5. Eternity
Written by Patrick Cunnane and David Freyne
Directed by David Freyne
After dying, people are given one week to figure out how they would like to spend eternity. This becomes an impossible task when a woman has to make an impossible choice between spending eternity with her second husband who she had a family with, or her first husband who died in the Korean war, and has been waiting over half a century for her so they could spend the afterlife together. While this is technically a comedy, I am not sure I laughed once. Instead, I spent the whole runtime trying my hardest not to vomit. I found the central conflict so wrenching and unfair (to the woman and both of her husbands) that I could not find anything funny. It actually gets worse as the movie goes on as, not only are all three main characters generally decent people, but the two men even end up liking each other. Yep, even the comedies that make my top ten are emotionally brutal. I swear I am actually a happy person! Eternity is available to rent via the usual channels. There is, shamefully, no physically release yet.
For those of you saying, “gosh darn it all Dave, I want to laugh and not feel terrible about myself,” you should watch my favorite animated film of 2025 Lesbian Space Princess. There is nothing subtle whatsoever about this film, but it is a total riot! It is out there to rent via sites where films go to be rented, and surprisingly, there is a very good bluray release out there as well!
4. Julie Keeps Quiet
Written by Ruth Becquart and Leonardo Van Dijl
Directed by Leonardo Van Dijl
After the suicide of a young tennis player and the suspension of that girls former coach, 15 year old Julie, who is coached by the same man, finds herself in the middle of a very uncomfortable situation. Despite the plot sounding very “dramatic”, this is a very low-key film as one would expect about a girl who is keeping quiet. This film is all about the inner turmoil faced by Julie, in a brilliant debut performance by Tessa Van den Broeck, as she tries to figure out the right thing to do. The film is completely centered on her to the point she is almost never not on camera. Julie Keeps Quiet paints a very realistic portrayal of a teenager dealing with something no teenager (or anyone) should have to go through. It is available to rent and buy online, but I have to recommend renting this one before buying. I bought it off Fandango at home, and not only was the transfer fairly bad, but there were other visual issues throughout the picture. I then bought it on Amazon, and while the other issues were gone, the transfer was still rather uninspiring. It’s a shame. This film deserves better.
If you would like a very different film about a sadly similar situation, check out Sorry, Baby. It is the writing and directing debut of Eva Victor who, on top of that, also plays the lead character. They are an absolute triple threat. Sorry Baby streams on HBO Max.
3. Sinners
Written and Directed by Ryan Coogler
Twin brothers setup a juke joint in 1920’s Mississippi. Great music, romance, racial tensions, and vampire action ensues. Man, this film is a wild ride! The action is great. The performances are great. The atmosphere, the setting, the music. Good lord, the music! I would pay for admission just to see the musical performances cut together. Ryan Coogler, after many years of good work, was given a chance to make a passion project, and he did not let it go to waste. This is a joyful mashup of genres. If this movie has any fault, it is that Coogler’s reach might slightly exceeds his grasp, but when is the last time you saw a summer blockbuster that you thought might be a bit TOO thematically ambitious? Sinners was an event, and stands as a beacon for what big budget filmmaking should be. It is available on 4k and bluray (just buy it), and can be streamed on HBO Max, and rented elsewhere.
For another offbeat horror film, check out Weapons. Yeah, I know, this may be the obvious choice, but this is a playful, mysterious, suspenseful and very funny horror film that constantly keeps the viewer on their toes. It is not to be missed.
Now, something is about to happen that I rarely ever let happen on ranking lists I make: a tie! I usually don’t do ties, but these two films have been jockeying back and forth for me since I saw them last April. These were my two favorite films at MSPIFF 2025 . They also have one very unfortunate thing in common, so, they are both getting some second place love from me.
2. Tiny Lights
Written and Directed by Beata Parkanova
This Czech film follows a single day in the life of 6 year old Amalka. It just happens to be the day her life changes forever when her parents, who clearly have come to hate each other, separate. What a fascinating, moving film this is! The entire film is from Amalka’s perspective. We don’t hear or see anything she doesn’t. Obviously, we know what is going on, but does she? If she does, how much? Pulling from Parkanova’s own childhood, it is really eye opening to see just how much children witness, even when we adults do our best to shield them from the truth. Unlike Sinners with its grand ambitions, Tiny Lights is content with giving us a window into a situation, and allowing us to watch it play out without commentary. And can we get a round of applause for Mia Banko, who plays Amalka? When we talk about great child performances, they are usually playing characters who are very precocious and wise beyond their years. Here, we have a 6 year old girl, playing a 6 year old girl, who acts like a 6 year old girl. The more I think about that, the more blown away I am!
Tiny Lights is streaming on Film Movement Plus, which has its own website, and is available through Amazon as well. Please watch it. It isn’t even 80 minutes long.
I was having trouble finding a good recommendation for complimentary viewing, so I am actually going back to 2023 and Lila Aviles’ beautiful film Totem. This film has us spending a day in the life of a 7 year old girl, as her family prepares a party for her father. This is too perfect a companion piece to not include here. It streams on the Criterion Channel, has a physical release from Criterion, and can be rented on Fandango and elsewhere.
2. The Wedding Banquet
Directed by Andrew Ahn
Written by Andrew Ahn and James Schamus
This is an absolutely delightful found family film about a gay man who proposes a green card marriage to his friend in exchange for money so her and her wife can try IVF. Whatever you do, please don’t play a drinking game where in you take a shot every time I use the word delightful to describe this film, because you will be dead in minutes. The Wedding Banquet is actually a remake of (and superior to in every conceivable way) a 1993 Ang Lee film of the same name. The four lead actors are all sensational, and have wonderful chemistry together. All of the characters are flawed and interesting. There are no villains here, only relatable people trying, and often failing, to do their best. Did I mention what a delight this film is. Good laughs are had throughout with the “de-queering the house” scene being a comic highlight. If you are wondering what unfortunate thing this and Tiny Lights have in common, that’s easy: no one saw either of them. While a tiny Czech drama not making mainstream waves in the U.S. may not be a surprise, The Wedding Banquet was a mainstream release that came nowhere near making its five million dollar budget back. Such a shame for such a delightful film.
Now, I have to tell a quick story about The Wedding Banquet. I saw it at MSPIFF a few weeks before it had its release nation wide. After seeing it, I came home and told my wife and youngest daughter that this was an absolutely delightful LGBTQ comedy, that they would love it and that they had to come and see it with me when it opened. Surprisingly, they didn’t argue with me, and the three of us went to see it. Walking out of the theater, I excitedly asked what they thought, and my daughter just gave me a little shrug and kept walking, and my wife said nothing. I was more than a little taken aback by this. I know they three of us all have different tastes in film, but I was sure this was going to be a home run for all of us.
Well, a couple weeks later, The Wedding Banquet has tanked at the box office, and I was telling my wife how bad it bombed. My youngest daughter over heard this and said, “that’s too bad. It was such a good movie!” I responded with confusion, telling her that, based on her out of theater reaction, I didn’t think she liked it very much. “Well,” she said, “you told me it was a comedy, so I expected something light and silly. You didn’t tell me it was going to make me cry!” Anyway, a couple months later, the film came out to stream (Paramount +), rent, and rather surprisingly, on blu-ray (buy it now), and my youngest wanted to watch it again. So we did, and a delightful time was had by all. About a week later, I was getting ready for bed, and she asked me if I could put the Wedding Banquet on for her. I told her we had just watched it a week ago. She gives me a sheepish little smile, and says, “I forgot how good it was!”
And how good it is! Delightful even! It is the film from 2025 I have seen the most times. It is one of those films that will play well no matter what mood you are in. The only thing it doesn’t have is action and special effects.
And, if you prefer your found family movies to have lots of action and special effects, you need to check out Predator: Badlands (no, really). It is a surprisingly terrific film. My youngest daughter also liked this one. Thank god for Dan Trachtenberg! He is the reason have gotten three really good Predator films in a row. It streams on Disney +, and can be rented, and has a 4k physical release.
Now, for the better part of 2025, and even into 2026, Tiny Lights and The Wedding Banquet sat at the top of best of 2025 list, and that made me happy to have such a wonderful pair of films as my favorites of the year. Then I watched something else, and to say I was blown away by this would be an understatement. I was not going to include it on my top ten list though, due to a (really stupid) technicality, but more on that later. It was at this point however, that something astonishing happened!
So, I spend a large portion of my workday alone. So, to pass the time, I will talk to myself. It is a good way I find to keep my thoughts straight, and to keep myself amused. So, as I was going about my day, I was going over my top ten list. Trying to decide what film would go where, and why. As I was doing this, this film came up, and here is where the astonishing part comes in. As I was talking to myself, I told myself something I did not already know! You might be thinking that is impossible. If you are talking to yourself, you can’t tell yourself something you don’t know. You have to know it to say it! To which I can only say, I would have agreed with you until this actually happened to me. My interaction with myself played out like this, and yes, this is how it happened and it happened out loud.
Dave: Well, if I included this film, it would have to be my number one.
There is a pause where I allow these words to sink in.
Dave: Wait, is that true?
I realize that is is.
Dave: So Dave, let me get this straight. You are not including your pick for the best film of the year on your top ten based on some half-ass technicality that you decided to make up?! No, this is your number one! You need to deal with it.
So, without further ado, my pick for the best film of 2025, and if forced to choose right now, the best of the decade so far, is...
1. My Undesirable Friends: Part One - Last Air in Moscow
Written and Directed by Julia Loktev
This is a knee-weakeningly astonishing documentary chronicling the last bastion of free press in Russia. The format of the documentary is simple: Julia Loktev embeds herself with several different Russian journalists, all women, mostly from TV Rain, and lets them go about their lives. They talk about their jobs, worries for their country, the attacks on the free press. These women are so smart, funny and courageous that I want to become fluent in Russian just to hang out with them and listen to them speak. However, as Julia is in Russia filming this documentary, fate throws out a cruel twist: Russia invades Ukraine, which completely changes the game for these journalists, who are now forced to flee their beloved country to avoid being jailed (or worse). There are so many amazing, candid and terrifying moments in this film, I don’t even know where to begin!
Now, you might be wondering why I wouldn’t have originally included this one my list, as it sounds riveting! Well, My Undesirable Friends: Part One is 5 hours and 24 minutes long. My first thought was it should have been a miniseries, and not a feature film. This was stupid talk, however. First, I very rarely watch TV, so had it been a miniseries, I would likely have never seen it, and second, the only limit on how long a feature film can be is whether the film can sustain its runtime. Last Air in Moscow is completely engrossing from the first minute to its last. It is easily the finest piece of cinema I saw in 2025.
Now, My Undesirable Friends: Part One - Last Air in Moscow is streaming on Mubi (they will also have the upcoming My Undesirable Friends: Part Two - Exile once that releases). Please, don’t be daunted by the films runtime. It is broken up into 5 chapters. The first chapter runs about 84 minutes, and the rest are about an hour each. Watch it however is easiest for you: binge it, do a chapter a night, a half-hour here and there. Just don’t miss this!
Now, if you are located in the United States like I am, and you want to see a film about government censorship closer to home, watch the documentary The Librarians. When book bans become the order of the day for ideologically backwards and regressive people, librarians become a front-line defense against censorship. I believe this can be streamed through the PBS app, and via Kanopy if you have a library card (you better have a library card!)
I hope this list has given you a few new films to check out. Thanks for reading, now get out there and see some movies!
No comments:
Post a Comment